Dear Students, Staff, and Parents:
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! Our commitment at William
M. Boyd Elementary School is to provide a safe and intellectually challenging
environment that will empower students to become innovative thinkers, creative
problem solvers, and inspired learners. High standards and expectations for
each student in regard to academic performance, co-curricular participation,
and responsible citizenship are the foundation of our school. Full participation
in academic and co-curricular programs and a willingness to act responsibly as
an individual within our educational environment are the factors that enable
all to have a successful and enjoyable year.
Below are our beliefs
regarding teaching and learning that we developed as part of this process.
We believe that effective teachers:
- Create opportunities for
intellectual risk-taking, collaboration, problem-solving, and application
of classroom learning to real life situations;
- Implement strategies that
promote ownership of learning to students;
- Design instruction to integrate
a variety of innovative technological tools and resources to enhance
- Demonstrate ongoing
professional growth in order to increase the quality of instruction;
- Collaborate with colleagues to
share and discuss exemplary practices, interpret student performance data,
and design assessments that promote twenty-first century skills.
We believe that successful students:
- Communicate in a meaningful way
for a variety of purposes and audiences;
- Employ critical and creative
thinking skills to solve problems;
- Pose questions, examine
possibilities, and apply skills to find solutions to authentic issues; and
- Make positive choices related
to physical and mental wellness.
to get involved in your child’s education at Boyd
1. Fill out the PTA volunteer forms. Forms are available in the school office.
2. Ask your child questions about what he/she learned in school that day.
(“What did you learn in math today?” or “What stories are you reading in
3. Read to your child every day.
4. Check your child’s backpack daily for letters or flyers about upcoming
5. Call the school or email the principal or teacher if you have any questions
6.. Attend PTA general meetings to learn about school events.
7. Assist your child with homework assignments by creating a quiet environment
conclusion, I wish you all a wonderful school year. I am honored to serve as
your principal. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to
contact me and know that my door is always open. I can be reached email@example.com.
Marcus Jackson, Ed.D