Pathway Selection Process
GRADY HIGH SCHOOL PATHWAY SELECTION PROCESS
The pathway selection process is for students who are zoned to Grady High School. Students will have the opportunity to express their interest in the theme-based pathways at Grady: 2D (Drawing/Painting/Photography); 3D (Fashion Design/Sculpture); Acting/Directing; Applications of the Law; Audio-Video Technology and Film; Band; Biomedical Sciences; Business, Management, and Administration; Engineering, Fashion Marketing; French; Graphic Communications; Graphic Design; Guitar; JROTC; Latin; Law and Investigations; Musical Theater; Orchestra; Print Journalism; Spanish; Sports and Entertainment Marketing; Technical Theater; Vocal Music/Chorus; and Web and Digital Design.
Each pathway offers a college preparatory course of study that includes all of the core classes necessary to graduate from Atlanta Public Schools. Additionally, each pathway has a unique theme that prescribes electives at each grade level and includes projects, business partnerships, and field experiences. The purpose of the theme is not to prepare students for careers in particular fields, but rather to provide an anchor around which teachers can collaborate and enrich students’ academic experiences.
In the event that there are more students interested in a pathway than there are seats available, students will be placed by random lottery. All students who submit all of the completed paperwork by the March 19, 2015 deadline will have an equal chance of being placed in their first choice of pathway. Pathway placement is NOT on a first come, first served basis. Additionally, all students have the opportunity to change pathways at the end of their ninth grade year.
Receive pathway selection forms at their middle schools on Thursday, March 5, 2015.
Submit completed pathway selection forms to their middle school guidance counselors by 4:15 pm on Thursday, March 19, 2015.
2. Students not currently enrolled in an APS middle school (for example, students currently attending a private school or are homeschooled):
Download a pathway selection form from the Grady website: http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/Page/45365
Submit completed pathway selection form and proof of residency documents (see below) to Ms. MacBrien at Grady by 4:15 pm on Thursday, March 19, 2015.
PROOF OF RESIDENCY
To provide proof of residency for pathway placement, parents/legal guardians of students not currently enrolled in an APS middle school must provide the following:
Please note that you will be required to provide this documentation again (and some additional documents) when you register your child at Grady over the summer. Please visit http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/Page/34748 for details.
1) Mortgage statement, warranty deed, quit‐claim deed, or security deed in the name of the parent/guardian for the location of the legal residence; or lease or rental agreement consisting of written evidence that a current valid agreement exists. Also to be included with this agreement shall be the name, address, and telephone number of the lessor;
2) Georgia Power utility bill with the address of the legal residence (current within 30 days)
For more information about the Grady pathways, please visit the Grady website at http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/Page/14412 -->Pathways
If you have questions regarding the pathways, residency documents, or the placement process, please contact Grady High School directly:
• Ms. Chinaester Holland, School Registrar: firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-802-3021
• Mr. Willie Vincent, Scheduling Coordinator: email@example.com or 404-802-3007
• Ms. Carrie MacBrien, Ninth Grade Transition Liaison: firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-802-3015