Pathway Placement Process
GRADY HIGH SCHOOL PATHWAY PLACEMENT PROCESS
The pathway placement process is for students who are zoned to Grady High School. Students will have the opportunity to express their interest in the theme-based pathways at Grady: Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, Law and Forensic Investigations, Applications of the Law, Small Business Development, Fashion Marketing, Sports and Entertainment Marketing, Print Journalism, Audio-Video Technology and Film, and Graphic Communications.
Each pathway offers a college preparatory course of study that includes all of the core classes necessary to graduate from Atlanta Public Schools. Additionally, each pathway has a unique theme that prescribes electives at each grade level and includes projects, business partnerships, and field experiences. The purpose of the theme is not to prepare students for careers in particular fields, but rather to provide an anchor around which teachers can collaborate and enrich students’ academic experiences.
In the event that there are more students interested in a pathway than there are seats available, students will be placed by random lottery. All students who submit all of the completed paperwork by the April 4, 2014 deadline will have an equal chance of being placed in their first choice of pathway Students who are not placed in their first choice of pathway at this time will be placed on a waiting list and will be moved into their first choice of pathway as seats become available. Pathway placement is NOT on a first come, first served basis. Additionally, all students have the opportunity to change pathways at the end of their ninth grade year.
Receive pathway selection forms at their middle schools on Friday, March 21, 2014.
Submit completed pathway selection forms to their middle school guidance counselors by 4:15 pm on Friday, April 4, 2014.
Pathway placement letters and course selection forms will be mailed home towards the end of April; students and their families will return requested information directly to Grady.
2. Students not currently enrolled in an APS middle school (for example, students currently attending a private school or are homeschooled):
Download a pathway selection form here.
Submit completed pathway selection form and proof of residency documents (see below) to Ms. MacBrien at Grady by 4:15 pm on Friday, April 4, 2014.
Pathway placement letters and course selection forms will be mailed home towards the end of April; students and their families will return requested information directly to their Grady academy leaders.
PROOF OF RESIDENCY
To provide proof of residency for pathway placement, parents/legal guardians of students not currently enrolled in an APS middle school must provide the following:
Please note that you will be required to provide this documentation again (and some additional documents) when you register your child at Grady over the summer. Please visit http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/Page/34748 for details.
1) Mortgage statement, warranty deed, quit‐claim deed, or security deed in the name of the parent/guardian for the location of the legal residence; or lease or rental agreement consisting of written evidence that a current valid agreement exists. Also to be included with this agreement shall be the name, address, and telephone number of the lessor;
2) Georgia Power utility bill with the address of the legal residence (current within 30 days)
For more information about the Grady pathways, please visit the Grady website at http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/Page/14412 -->Pathways
If you have questions regarding the pathways, residency documents, or the placement process, please contact Grady High School directly:
• Mr. Raymond Dawson, Biomedical Science and Engineering Pathways: email@example.com or 404-802-3033
• Mr. Willie Vincent, Business and Marketing Pathways: firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-802-3007
• Ms. Carrie MacBrien, Communications and Journalism Pathways: email@example.com or 404-802-3015
• Dr. Russell Plasczyk, Law and Investigations Pathways: firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-802-3064