Greetings from Proud Principal Stephanie Johnson.
With pride, I want to share Maynard H. Jackson High School’s celebrations, accomplishments, and goals for 2015 and beyond as we work to create a school community that provides multiple opportunities for student achievement through globally competitive academics, athletics, extracurricular activities, and service. To begin, I want to thank all East Atlanta Community Members who donated and volunteered for our very first Maynard Jackson “Feed Our Families” Thanksgiving Dinner on Thanksgiving Day. We met our goal of ensuring our students and their families who wanted a familiar place to dine on Thanksgiving had plenty to eat right here at school. Over 200 people were fed. Additionally, I want to thank all community members who made donations in December to our families experiencing emergency situations with their homes. Your donations helped us keep several families in stable locations throughout the holidays.
Maynard H. Jackson High School’s Seven Most Impressive Accomplishments for the 2014-15 school term:
1. We created a partnership with Georgia Tech through our Early College Pre-Engineering Program at Atlanta Metropolitan that will provide students opportunities to have transfer admission to Georgia Tech in Engineering upon completion of their pre-engineering program. The program is RETP (Regional Engineering Transfer Program), and our student participants have full expectations of completing the program requirements and receiving admission to Georgia Tech when they graduate. You will find all of these students on the honor roll at Atlanta Metropolitan College and Maynard H. Jackson High School for Semester 1.
2. Our IB Diploma Program is off to a great start. The first IB Class for Maynard Jackson graduates in May 2015, and the students are preparing diligently to pass their IB Exam this spring. It is a privilege to offer students the opportunity to complete the most rigorous diploma in the world.
3. Maynard H. Jackson High School has added every GHSA sport in our athletic offerings for students over the past year. Football and Volleyball competed in the state playoffs this year. And we fully expect our swim team, wrestling, lacrosse, one act plays, and tennis teams to become as competitive as our volleyball, football, basketball, baseball, track, soccer, and cross country teams. Rifle team is not a GHSA sport; however, our JROTC Rifle team is a great competitor across the state.
4. Jackson High Students are now competitively participating in extracurricular activities such as Engineering and Robotics, Mock Trial, Debate Team, Academic Decathlon, Chess, and Model UN in addition to the already established clubs and organizations offered to students.
5. Make sure to continue support for our fine arts programs. Ballet, drama, chorus, orchestra, art, and band offer shows throughout the school year. We are very proud of the scholarships provided by the Atlanta Ballet to our students and the superior rating our chorus has received at competition this year. We have more Governor’s Honors Finalists in Fine Arts than any other subject this year. We will publish the names after the final interview.
6. We are taking Global competitiveness and International mindedness seriously through partnerships we have created with Germany, China, and other countries. These partnerships have afforded opportunities for our students to study and produce meaningful work with students, teachers, administrators, and college professors in our own school community and in Germany and China. Our partner school from Germany visited us for 10 days in October. Students and teachers from our Chinese partner school will be visiting in February to engage in lessons and projects with our students as well. Our MH Jackson students will be visiting Germany in June and China in July.
7. On Monday, January 12, 2015, Maynard H. Jackson becomes an official “No Place for Hate” site. This program is created to encourage students to interact positively with one another and to bring awareness to bullying and good character.
Additionally, we are very excited about our new community garden on our rooftop and growing plants through hydroponics in our building. We can’t wait to showcase our flowers and vegetables.
At Jackson High School there is something for everyone. In addition to maintaining a safe and rigorous academic environment, we are also committed to engaging the East Atlanta community. If you are interested in volunteering at the school, please call 404-802-5200 for additional information. The continued success of our school community begins with you.
We welcome you!
Proud Principal Stephanie Johnson
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Golf @ Dogwood Golf Course
4:00 PM - 8:00 PM Boys/Girls Track/Field Region 4AAA Track Meet @ Westminster Schools
5:00 PM - 7:00 PM Baseball @ Cedar Grove High School
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Monk Jones Lecture Series, Auditorium
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM Tentative Early College Compass Testing, Atlanta Metro College
3:30 PM - 5:30 PM Credit Recovery, Media Center
5:30 PM - 7:00 PM Boys Lacrosse @ Mays High School
5:30 PM - 7:30 PM Girls Soccer vs Miller Grove High School
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM PTSA Meeting, Media Center
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM ASVAB Test, Auditorium
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM Dual Enrollment Access Test (Atl. Tech), Auditorium
5:30 PM - 10:30 PM "Blues for An Alabama Alliance Theater Sky" Field Trip
5:30 PM - 10:30 PM Alliance Theater Workshop